Journalist and Author
Benny Royston – Journalist and Author
Benny Royston is a published author and journalist. He has written three official books on the Eurovision Song Contest (under the name Barry Viniker) and has contributing many thousands of articles, columns and news covering music, entertainment, politics and current affairs.
Benny Royston wrote the copy for three official Eurovision Song Contest books between 2006-2008. The Official Fan Book included information about all of the year’s participants, including biographies, trivia knowledge as well as information about the previous year’s results and the year’s Eurovision Song Contest host city.
His knowledge about the Eurovision Song Contest makes him an important source of information for many journalists and he is often invited to speak on television and radio as well as comment on stories in the national and international print and online media.
Read Benny Royston’s Latest Online Articles Here
- Eurovision’s youngest entrant Kristian Kostov is ready for a debut win for BulgariaKristian Kostov is just 17-years-old but his performance of Beautiful Mess is hotly tipped for Eurovision glory tonight. The Russian-born star has already won Russia’s The Voice For Kids and he’s following in his mentor’s footsteps as he takes to the Eurovision stage. Will Italy’s Francesco Gabbani deliver… ... read more
- Will Italy’s Francesco Gabbani deliver Eurovision win number three with Occidentali’s Karma?Italy’s Francesco Gabbani has been the runaway favourite to win the Eurovision Song Contest since he won Sanremo Music Festival back in early February with Occidentali’s Karma. It’s been the big Eurovision fan favourite and has appeared across Europe on download and streaming charts. Here’s how to work out… ... read more
- How will the United Kingdom do at the 2017 Eurovision Song Contest?Just how will Lucie Jones fare in Kiev? (Picture: Getty Images)Lucie Jones carries the hopes of the nation on her shoulders at the 2017 Eurovision Song Contest in Kyiv with the song Never Give Up On You. But she’s not daunted, Lucie has been flying the flag with pride since… ... read more
- Here’s how to work out who will win Eurovision 2017Who will follow in Jamala’s footsteps and win Eurovision 2017? (Picture: Britta Pedersen)It takes a mammoth effort on top of a great song and vocal performance, wrapped up in three minutes of musical television magic with a bit of luck sprinkled on top to win the Eurovision Song Contest. The… ... read more
- Whose vocals are pushing for 2017 Eurovision Glory in Kyiv?Anja’s vocal performance is giving Denmark a fighting chance of successIt might be the Eurovision Song Contest, but the song is often only as good as the singer. NHS websites brought down across UK by cyber attackers demanding money As excitement grows around this year’s Eurovision we take a look… ... read more
- A first non-English language Eurovision winner in a decade or UK, Bulgaria and Belgium to win?Could Salvador Sobral give Eurovision its first non-English language winner in a decade? (Picture: Getty Images)Portugal and Italy are set to battle it out for victory in the 2017 Eurovision Song Contest but if one of them wins it will be the first time since 2007 that the Eurovision winner… ... read more
- There’s been a big increase in Eurovision Song Contest interest this year
- Portugal topple Italy as Eurovision favourites at the last minuteItaly’s Francesco Gabbani has been the favourite to win Eurovision for months – but he’s been overtaken by Portugal’s Salvador SobralItaly has been the runaway favourite to win the Eurovision Song Contest since Francesco Gabbani’s Occidentali’s Karma was chosen as the Eurovision Song Contest entry at the Sanremo Music Festival.… ... read more
- Belgium could win Eurovision ahead of Netherlands, Italy and UK according to data analyticsBelgium’s Blanche on stage (Picture: Getty)With all 26 of this year’s Eurovision Song Contest entries confirmed, and the running order of the final set, it’s time to start predicting who will win in 2017. Italy are the bookies’ favourites, Portugal and Bulgaria are expected to challenge the top spot, and… ... read more
- United Kingdom gets perfect starting position in Eurovision finalLucie Jones just went and nabbed herself a great place in the running order (Picture: Getty Images)The running order for the 2017 Eurovision Song Contest has been revealed and it’s great news for the United Kingdom’s Lucie Jones. Man jailed for life after pouring paint down his girlfriend's throat and… ... read more
- Only 5 UK Eurovision entries have ever topped the charts at homeRemember these Eurovision performers? (Picture: Getty/REX)The United Kingdom has a proud record at the Eurovision Song Contest. We may have come last three times since 2000, and finished 24th for the last two years, but it could be worse – Germany were last for two years running. In fact, the United Kingdom has… ... read more
- The international Eurovision winners that hit number one in the UK chartsIs Francesco Gabbiani on the path to victory? (Picture: RAI)The Eurovision Song Contest has been winning TV ratings battles in the UK for 60 years. Five British entries have scored number one hits, but four winners from beyond our shores have also bagged number one hits here. Here’s why we… ... read more
- Australia has winners from The Voice and The X Factor at Eurovision but who finish higher?Isaiah vs Anja (Picture: Rex)An interesting battle is emerging at this year’s Eurovision Song Contest with two Australian champions in the final. Isaiah Firebrace is a former The X Factor winner on the Australian version of the show, and represents his home country at the annual singing contest, whilst Anja… ... read more
- Bulgaria, Israel, Romania and Netherlands amongst last ten Eurovision qualifiers(Picture: Getty/MylesGoode)It was a triumphant night at the second Eurovision Song Contest semi final as Bulgaria, Netherlands, Romania, Denmark, Norway, Hungary, Croatia, Belarus, Israel and Austria progressed to the 2017 final on Saturday. The big surprise for many was Estonia missing out and Norway qualifying, after a technical problem in… ... read more
- Bulgaria’s Eurovision entrant Kristian Kostov cleared to competeBulgarian singer Kristian Kostov (Picture: Getty Images)A potential issue came up at the Eurovision Song Contest after media reports that Kristian Kostov, who performs Beautiful Mess in the second Eurovision semi final, had performed in Crimea after Russia annexed the territory from Ukraine. This is the reason that Julia Samoylova… ... read more